Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Rockville Divorce Attorney Discusses Variations on Maryland Divorces

Are you a Maryland resident considering divorce? If so, you should consider speaking with a family law attorney about your situation right away. There are several ways to go about divorce under Maryland law, as well as a number of collateral matters to consider including child support, spousal support, custody, visitation, and distribution of property. If you believe your spouse may wish to contest the divorce, a consultation with a family law attorney is imperative to ensure you protect all your rights. If the divorce is amicable and likely to settle easily, a Rockville divorce attorney may still be able to offer you limited scope representation to help you work out certain unique issues, such as drafting a Separation Agreement, Parenting Plan, or Domestic Relations Order (when dividing retirement funds).

woman removing her wedding ring

What Is the Difference Between Absolute and Limited Divorce?

The term “limited divorce” is somewhat of a misnomer in that it is not truly a divorce in the commonly-understood sense of the word. A limited divorce is granted pending the outcome of the entire divorce proceeding and allows parties to set up custody, visitation or spousal/child support arrangements until the final decree is entered. It does not, however, allow parties to remarry or address the equitable division of property.

An absolute divorce, on the other hand, is a final divorce decree conclusively dissolving the marriage. It is usually based on no-fault grounds, however, Maryland still maintains a fault-based cause of action premised on issues like adultery, cruelty or insanity. If there are no-fault grounds, parties must have lived separate and apart for one full year or, if there are no minor children, they may obtain a Mutual Consent Divorce (see below).

Mutual Consent Divorce

If all issues related to custody, child support, alimony and property division have been agreed upon and memorialized in a written agreement, a couple may get divorced by mutual consent without having to wait through a one year separation period.

Flat Fee for Uncontested Divorce

We charge a Flat Fee of $1,500.00 for an Uncontested Divorce based on 1-year separation in Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, or Howard County. This fee includes the Court filing fee. Counties outside of this range may be considered and will be charged an additional, nominal fee for travel time.

To qualify for this flat fee there must be no minor children, no marital property to be divided, and no claims for alimony. This fee includes service of process via USPS. If your spouse evades service, there may be an additional fee for any skip tracing and process servers that need to be hired.

What Is a Contested Divorce?

Some divorces settle easily after a smooth separation period. Others, not so much. A contested divorce is one in which one party plans to engage in litigation over an aspect of the divorce (e.g., custody or support) or plans to contest the entire divorce altogether. A contested divorce can take longer to work out and will require greater intervention by legal counsel to ensure all your rights are protected.

Can We Settle Everything out of Court?

Absolutely. In fact, this is a preferred method to ensure both parties are in control of the outcome of their divorce. If you are ready to negotiate a settlement with your spouse and believe he or she may be willing to do the same, we encourage you to contact a Rockville divorce lawyer at H&H LawWorks, LLC today. Please call 240-403-2693.

I Cannot Afford an Attorney

If you cannot afford a lawyer for full representation of your case, you can retain an attorney to simply help you with specific matters in your case. Among other things, you can hire an attorney to help you draft your initial Complaint or Answer, prepare for trial, draft Discovery, represent you at a Settlement Conference or Mediation, or answer procedural questions. Contact a Rockville divorce lawyer at H&H LawWorks, LLC today to discuss limited scope representation. Please call 240-403-2693.

Do you need help settling family legal matters or planning for the future of your estate? Our team is here to represent you and ensure your rights are protected.